Pages

Monday, February 9, 2015

The Anchor for Your Soul - The #1 Essential to Surviving & Thriving in Motherhood and Life

In my last blog post I wrote about anchors for the home, a few things we do to help give structure and purpose to our home life and family. But above all those things I have found that the greatest anchor is the anchor for my own soul. It is the thing that lifts me up when I feel like I'm sinking into despair, it gives me renewed purpose and vision when I can't seem to find my way anymore. It gives me peace when my heart is troubled.  It gives me hope when I feel like I'm failing, and truth when I'm believing lies. It gives me a skip in my step and a song in my heart. It helps me to fill my home with an atmosphere of love and joy. It's my lifeline.

It's my time with Jesus, my Savior and King and Friend.

How easy it is to slip into the busyness of the day and neglect the most needful thing. It often seems so hard to get up early when I'm so exhausted from nursing the baby in the night or just going nonstop with all the demands of the kids and the home. But oh how much more I need Him because of it all!!!!  And how wonderful it is to get up when all the house is quiet and spend time with the One who knows my heart better than any other. He knows what my soul needs; like a shepherd knows what his sheep need.  "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul." (Psalm 23, ESV)  He wants me to come to him and allow his word to be a balm to my soul. He wants to prepare me for the day, take my burdens and give me peace.

He wants me to experience His presence.  

As moms we often feel like we never have time to ourselves..."me time." I mean, I can't even go to the bathroom in peace! It never fails that every time I close my door to get dressed or you name it, that's when someone needs me. Right? I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.  "Calgon, take me away!" (Ok, I just dated myself.)  But you know what I've found? There's nothing that refreshes me more than spending time with Jesus. No amount of "me time," be it shopping, going out with a friend, getting a cup of coffee, etc. can do justice to what Jesus can do for my soul. Not to say that these things aren't fun and good to do every now and then, but that's not what we're missing...that's not the answer.

The answer is Jesus.  He is the ONLY one who can truly satisfy our souls.  

So no matter where you find yourself in life right now, the best thing you can do to not only survive, but to thrive, is to anchor your soul in Jesus Christ and His word and let Him tend to your heart in a way only your Maker can.

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Ps. 16:11

Are you spending time daily with Jesus?  Share with us! Do you want to make a renewed effort? Start now by telling me when and where and I'll be praying for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment