Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

Anchors for the Home

I can't believe how long it's been since I've sat down to write a blog post.  I guess since before Ezra was born.  And now he's 20 months old and I have a new baby...Haven Ruth, who is already 2 1/2 months.  I've had many things to say and share but I guess the time to write is never as easy to find.  But, even for my own sake, as a way to record the lessons learned, the blessings God gives, and the beautiful moments that are a part of this journey, I want to resolve once again to try.

So, at the outset of a new year, which I have every confidence will be full of growth, beauty, new challenges, and fun, I am sitting down to write.  It's been a good start to this new year.  I'm truly amazed at the way God is moving and graciously giving us new motivation and desire to make this year a year of MORE...more of Jesus, more of His word, more faith, more courage, more love, more prayer, more sacrifice.

It's amazing how easily things can go awry.  Over the Christmas break we love to take time off school and enjoy Christmas.  We stay up late and play games, make gifts, watch Christmas movies, and eat goodies.  It's so much fun! But 2 weeks of this kind of "freedom" with 9 kids and no real schedule quickly moves towards chaos and just a feeling of ugh.  So, I'm always ready for the new year, with new goals and a new start.

One thing I've noticed that pulls the chaos back into order is what I call "anchors for the home" - A few things that bring the family together in a united oneness and also give structure to our day.  These are a few things that (are supposed to) always remain, even if the rest of the day is "off."  For us these things are family Bible reading in the evening, morning Bible time with Mom (including scripture memory & prayer), afternoon laundry folding (usually with Mom reading aloud), and late afternoon clean up (each child has their own jurisdiction, or area of the house to clean).  {I have specific times designated for each of these things to try to keep us on track, and I set my phone alarm to remind me, though it doesn't always happen at that time.} Of course morning chores and meal chores are an absolute must all the time.  Putting these things in place seems to bring order and structure to even the craziest days.  When I let these things go, whether it be for a holiday break, vacation or just getting lazy, life seems to fall apart...and so does Mom!

Maybe I'll share some other habits that Steven and I have found to be hugely beneficial in our lives next time....

But for now, if you find yourself floundering or feeling like life is just chaos and you don't know how to pull it back together (trust me, I REALLY know what that feels like!), throw down an anchor and see how it helps.  I have to remind myself of these things often since my free spirit personality tends to let go of the anchors way too easily!  I'd love to hear what your experience is, so feel free to leave a comment!

Happy sailing...:-)


This is our family gathered in the evening for singing, bible reading & prayer. The two youngest are missing- Haven (2 mo) is sleeping & Ezra (20 mo) is on my lap learning to sit quietly :-) And just so there are no misconceptions, it doesn't usually go as smoothly as it looks in this picture. With this many kids there is never a lack of movement and interruptions! It's a learning process. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:43 AM

    Great insight and wisdom! Thank you so much for blogging again! YAY! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ! I'm so glad you're blogging again too!! I love you :-)

      Delete