Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Life Changes Again... Learning to Embrace the Now



This picture is my amazingly beautiful view from my back deck. These 20 acres of rolling hills next door to our 3 1/2 acre home is one of my very favorite things about living here. It makes me feel like I'm out in the open country, surrounded by God's peaceful presence.  I love watching the sunset through the trees, watching the wind blow through the soft yellow flowers that cover it in the spring.  I love seeing the round hay bales after the tall grass has been cut.  When I'm going a little crazy with the kids and the house and everything that needs to be done, I can step outside and let my eyes gaze upon the quiet, still beauty of the rolling green grass and the blue sky.  


Ahh....it helps put life back into perspective.  Life is bigger than the 4 walls of my house.  God is bigger.  And in just a few moments, as I breathe in the fresh air and drink in the beauty of this beautiful place, God washes me with His peace.  There's something about nature...about His beauty reflected in His creation that is just what my soul needs.

And this is why I love these 20 acres next door...we have dreamed of owning it someday.  Last week we found out that our neighbors sold it all to developers who are going to turn it into "Green Gable Estates"... dividing it into 6 lots.  I can't tell you how devastated I have been.  Why is it so hard to accept the changes of life?  Why can't life just stay the same?
I know this is a relatively small thing, but it's a loss nonetheless.  A loss of life as I now know it.  It's a reminder that life isn't going to be the same forever.  And it's really got me thinking...

...thinking about the life I live and love right now.  All my blessings...and there are so many!  I love my life right now. I love it that my children are still young enough to play outside together, climb trees, build forts, play Legos, dress up and wrestle and giggle.  I love it that I have little ones running around in diapers making everyone laugh.  I love that they all yell and run for Daddy when he comes home, that my 6 year old tells me that I'm beautiful and my 4 year old daughter told me yesterday that I'm "a wonderful lady."  I love sharing life with them.  I love that I get to live every day with my best friend by my side...figuring all of this out together, as a team...and that we're still crazy about each other.  I love that we live on this beautiful piece of land, with our crazy chickens who eat cat food right alongside our cats, and that I get to have goats...and even pigs for a while.  I love that I've had my last 3 babies in this house...and that I get to do it again in a few weeks.  I love having babies.  I know life can't stay the same forever, and I wouldn't want it to.  But the thought of things changing makes my heart ache.  The thought of my children growing up...it puts a knot in my throat.   But it also makes me overwhelmed with thankfulness and joy as I recount God's goodness to me and all the ways He has blessed me...and all the gifts He has given to me.  I am so amazingly blessed.

My dad battled cancer when I was just a teenager, and during that time God taught him an important lesson about contentment.    When he had regained some of his strength for a time, he shared with his congregation what God had been teaching him.  He said he had been laying in bed next to my mom holding her hand and thinking about life...and how it could all change.  He thought about how much he wished he could always be there holding her hand...and growing old together, how he wished he could see his kids grow up.  But God was teaching him that contentment was wanting what you have more than what you want.   So he laid there, hand in hand with my mom, and thanked God for that moment...for the gift He had given him right then and there.  He was practicing wanting what he had more than what he wanted.  He was finding contentment.  He was being thankful.

No, life doesn't stay the same for long.  Things change.  But I want to learn from my dad's example.  I want to take the moments I have right now...and cherish them.  I want my heart to overflow with thankfulness to my God.  I confess, I've complained and whined quite a bit about my beautiful land next door being taken from me.  I've been a bit of a baby about it.  But God has taken that piece of land and has made it a visual reminder to me that life changes and that I must embrace every moment and be thankful for what I have right now....it is all a gift. 

So I want to encourage you to stop and take a good look around you at all the gifts God has given you... and embrace your blessings, hug your kids, kiss your spouse...be thankful!  Times may be tough, but that's all the more reason to count our blessings. It's in turning our eyes upward and being thankful to God, that we find contentment, hope and joy.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.  James 1:17

Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.  1 Timothy 6:6

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.  Colossians 3:17

...give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.  1 Thess. 5:18

9 comments:

  1. linda everman10:23 AM

    Ah Jenny you have such a sweet spirit. I just love you! I love how you love your kids and treasure each moment with them. I love mine too and letting them go as they grow up is the hardest part of parenting for me. Memories of their young years are precious. Change is hard! Agreed!
    God is good...... he gives us perks.... grandkids!!! :) And oh the grandkids you will have... my goodness! Sometimes it is hard to be content in the present circumstances and change. Thank you for the gentle reminder from my brother to be content and thankful. I love your posts Jenny. I am positvie they will be in daily devotional book someday for the world to shard. Keep it up. Auntie Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your encouraging words Auntie Lin! You are so sweet. And yes, the grandkids!! Steven and I were just talking about how many we could have. It just makes joy start bubbling up in my heart!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Ah yes...sweet change. We do have the memories to carry in our hearts but every stage in life has it's moments. I can still see your Dad giving that sermon on Easter Sunday and how he said he would accept what God has given him. It may not be what "we" want but we know it is "his" will.

    Now just think of the lives you will be able to impact that move into "Green Gable Estates." I know you and your family will! Bake those cookies and welcome your new neighbors with open arms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that you say that (about all the lives we will be able to impact at "Green Gable Estates") because it has been my prayer that God would use us to minister to others and it seems so hard with all the kids to get "out" in the world, so I've asked God to place me in the midst of the needs...or bring the needs to me. Never knew how he would do that exactly, but maybe this is His answer! In fact, the day I prayed that (a while back) my other neighbor showed up at my front door with her daughter asking for prayer! God is truly good!!!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:13 PM

    And prayer we had.. and we (Jesus, you, me & Izzi) sat together on your porch. I needed His word, and through you.. He gave it to me. What a gift you are.. to which I am forever GRATEFUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, it was such a special day, wasn't it? That first day you stepped out in faith to homeschool Izzi. The devil fought you, but Jesus won! I am continually blessed by your passionate love for Jesus and your willingness to follow Him no matter the cost!

      Delete
  4. It's funny, right after I posted this we had a visitor stop by...the realtor who bought the 20 acres! And guess what... He wasn't a mean, ugly, ogre man after all. He was a sweet old man who enjoyed meeting the kids and even asked if he could give them some candy. He stopped by to meet us, let us know that he was going to be putting up signs and see if we were interested in buying the 3 acre lot right next to us. I told him how much we would love to buy it and how we've always said how perfect it would be if we could just buy that section of land to add on to ours...how we'd love to pasture some cows on it to provide meat for our family. But we just don't have the means to buy it (he's asking for a lot of money). But before he left I told him that we would pray and ask God, and if He wants to provide, than He will! Then I pointed over to our big blue 15 passenger van and told him how God gave it to us. All we did was pray and ask Him to provide and we started getting anonymous checks in the mail until after three months we had enough money to buy it. (check out my blog post to read the whole story! http://www.thefruitfullife.com/2011/03/ask-and-you-shall-recieve.html
    He seemed a bit shocked. He said, "So, you never knew who the money came from?" I said, "Nope. God just met our need. So if He sees that we need that land, than he will provide it!" His visit turned into a wonderful opportunity to share God's goodness, love and power to provide for our needs. He ended up going back to his car and getting a second round of candy for all the kids. Isn't God good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like Mr. Conrad Martin....he always has candy and it use to be those strawbery candies...they were so yummy!! If it was him, he really is a nice man. He has been giving out candy since I was a little kid :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:51 AM

    Beautiful and timely Jenny :-)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete