Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Maybelle & Her Kids

So I thought you might like an update on our two baby goats & their milk stealing mama.



The kids are doing great. After a day of helping them nurse every couple hours, Maybelle's motherly instincts kicked in and she let them nurse without us holding her still. They quickly gained their strength enough to make their way over to her and nurse anytime they wanted. Yay!

Now to just keep Maybelle from stealing their milk.  
After scrapping our first attempt to keep Maybelle from nursing off of herself (crazy goat!), 
we finally tried this contraption.


I'm still not sure it's working. I actually haven't seen her try to drink her milk since she's had it on, 
which seems like a good sign to me.
But the kids say they've seen her do it and it doesn't work. 
So, we'll just have to watch the kids (speaking of the goats now...lots of kids around here :-)
to make sure they are getting enough and doing well.
So far, so good!

I wish you could have seen Abel when he first met the little goats...
He was happier than a tornado in a trailer park (practicing my redneck sayings...they crack me up! I'll still never forget when I asked the man down the road how he was doing and he said, "Fine as frog hair." I'm definitely going to be using that one).  Anyway, back to Abel...
We had to keep close tabs on him since he would grab them, pick them up and then throw them down in excitement. 





Last year Maybelle had her first kid and we named him Mayson (he was born in May like his mama). 
This is Mayson the other day...taking a comfy little snooze.


 Not sure what to name Maybelle's new little boy & girl.  Uh...Marchbelle & Marchson?  Just kidding.
Need suggestions!

Oh, and I was obviously off in my estimation that we'd be having another goat birth right away.  After the kids and I spent what felt like an entire day watching Freedom, expecting her to kid any minute (and playing with the little goats), I decided it was time to get back to normal life...she obviously isn't in any hurry.


We'll keep ya posted...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:31 PM

    Sweet little Abel!! We just love hearing all about your children... and kids! We are trying to think of twin goat names... Mary says Patches and Pocket, Molasses and Midnight, Shadow and Fax (Lord of the Rings) Billy and Betty, Marcella and Marcus (a take on the March month). I thought of Floyd and Flicka, Merle and Maud, Perry and Patty... my children think that those names are horrible he he! Love the updates, miss you bunches
    --hugs and blessings, Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the names Courtney! They are all so creative! We will be adding some of them to the list :-) My mother-in-law said that every respectable Mississippian has a "Bubba" in the family, so maybe Bubba and Betty? Of course the boys like Shadow and Fax ;-) Love the old names- Merle and Maud. We miss ya'll too! Say hi to everyone for us!

    ReplyDelete