Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Latest

So what's new with the Mena's since Jed was born? Well, January passed slowly as I spent most of my time snuggling my newborn. I make it a point to hold my babies as much as possible in those early weeks because I know there will soon come a time when life will get back to normal and I won't have the time to just sit and enjoy him. Not to mention, they grow so fast and before I know it they're not that tiny little newborn anymore...and soon, they won't sleep on my chest anymore either. So, I savor every minute!! In fact, already (at 8 weeks old) he isn't my tiny little newborn. He's more like my stout little man! He's weighing in at 14 lbs.

Isn't he just the cutest? I took some pictures of him today and couldn't decide which ones to post, so I'm posting them all. I just love all his faces. And he's smiling all the time now and even giggling!



Here's our little newborn...Wow he's grown!
Of course everyone else has enjoyed cuddling him too.
Here's Jake getting his turn...
and Zack...and Ben...and Hailey...and Sam...
and Daddy too!

And guess what other wonderful new thing I've been enjoying! An amazing new dishwasher!! I can't tell you how exciting this has been for me! I know that most people around the world live without a dishwasher, and I was very willing to continue doing so. But what a blessing to not have to! It's amazing the hours it saves me. I get giddy with excitement after the meal when the dishes just go straight into this big upright tub and you just close the door and it actually washes your dishes for you! And they come out even cleaner than if i did it myself. It's simply wonderful. What an invention!

On February 12th, Jake had his 9th birthday. Grandma Donna (Steven's mom) was able to come for a visit and was here to celebrate with us. Jake wanted to go for a hike for his birthday so Daddy took the four boys to the Clinton Nature Center and they had a great time hiking the trails in the cold snowy weather.

That's right! God gave Jake a special gift this year for his birthday...SNOW!! And lots of it too! This makes the third snow this winter, which is unheard of in Mississippi. We've really enjoyed it! (That's our chicken coop in the back. Yes, we got chickens! I started writing a long blog about it back in Nov. and never finished it. Sad. Anyway, maybe I'll get around to posting it one day)
Jake's birthday dinner was his favorite: Mom's meatloaf & mashed potatoes, plus we added in some brocolli :) We had a surprise theme this year (we've never done that before). It was "Growing in Wisdom & Stature" from the verse in the Bible that talks about Jesus when he was a boy, "And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and man." Luke 2:52. We've seen Jake growing in godliness and in his love for Jesus and we are so thankful for the fruit that we are seeing in his life. Daddy made the sign and we wrote all the godly character traits that we see in him on the green leaves. And as a gift, we gave him a brand new "grown-up" Bible...just what he wanted!


A few days later Grandma Donna went home. We had a great time visiting with her and we're so glad she was able to visit.
The next day we were able to take the boys to the Dixie National Rodeo (courtesy of very special friends who wanted to bless our family!). It was really cool! The boys loved it. Ben and Sam keep telling me they want to go back to the "Radio." Oh, and we got to see Tanya Tucker in concert too.

That's about it for our adventures these last few months. Here are some common scenes around our place:
I had to throw in this great picture of my hubby smilin' at me from across the table!
He's so handsome!! (Even if he is looking a little "Grizzly Adams")

Here is Ben nursing his baby. Guess he's been watching Mama!
Here is Sam nursing his baby (monkey) lying down.
Here are all 6!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny and Steven. I do not know why I have missed your blog before, but now I will be follower for sure. Your pictures were wonderful and I hope to check in on your family often. We miss you and the kids are growing up and all look so happy and healthy. Your little Haleigh is a doll, and look at all the hair on the new little guy! Is Steven working regular now? What is the latest with the fire dept? Love to all and Gods Blessings. Coleene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny-
    I so agree about the dishwasher. In fact one year for my birthday I asked all my family to just contribute to the dishwasher fund. I think any stay-at-home mommy can understand your excitement.
    Looking at the picture of Jake made me wonder does Johanna look that grown-up and I just do not see it. How did our oldest ones gets so grown-up?
    I love the updates they are so wonderful.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, You're amazing! I enjoy reading your blog... sometimes the best things in life are the simplest! Jed is getting so big - love the hair. -Kim

    ReplyDelete